Spy News from New York
Kevin's Security Scrapbook
For federal procurement purposes, U.S. Government regulations classify Murray Associates Counterespionage as a Small Business, Professional Consulting Firm.
Eavesdropping Detection and Counterespionage Consulting enquiries are invited from corporate, government and professional security entities.
• National Security Agency (NSA ARC)
• DoD - CCR
• Exostar SourcePass
• Jones Lang LaSalle
Spybusters, LLC dba
PO Box 668
Oldwick, NJ 08858 (USA)
Copyright 1996-2014, Spybusters, LLC (140209)
"I think I found a bug
...what should I do?"
Recently, one of our clients found a bug.
(in-between the regular inspections we conduct)
The device was a small digital voice recorder, with voice activation capability, taped to a wastepaper can in the Board Room. The Board Meeting was scheduled for the following morning. We responded on an emergency basis. The eavesdropping device was removed before we were called for help.
This brings up an important point.
If you find a bug, what should you do?
These are your First Responder obligations...
1. Do not to disturb the device. It's evidence.
2. Do not alert the eavesdropper by talking.
3. Secure the area. It's a crime scene.
(Use a non-alerting excuse.)
4. Call us quickly from a 'safe' area, using a 'safe' phone.
5. Document. Write notes. Take photos.
6. Notify only people who have a real 'need to know.'
7. Observe and note unusual behavior by others.
8. Tell all persons involved to keep it confidential.
We will be there to help you as soon as possible to:
• complete the documentation process;
• inspect for additional / supplementary devices;
• evaluate the situation;
• answer questions;
• and recommend how to identify the eavesdropper.
Murray Associates can also be your expert witness, should your case need to be taken to court.
"How often should we be conducting pro-active inspections?"
Quarterly inspections are the norm, with additional inspections prior to and during 'high-value' meetings. The second most popular schedule is biannually.
Keep our number handy... +1-908-832-7900.
Better yet... Have us institute a regular inspection program. It is much cheaper than trying to clean up a leak.